The art of card manipulation – cardistri
If you have repeatedly admired the virtuoso performance of the cardist, then you probably want to learn how to reproduce something like this yourself.
Decided to learn the art of cardistry? Then our article will help you!
Cardistry (florishing, extreme card manipulation) is a show of card manipulation (the whole deck or part of it), where the effects look beautiful and spectacular.
So, tricks with cards marked the beginning of the art of cardistry: many illusionists who specialize in card magic, for more than one year in their performances include numbers with manipulative card tricks (florishami).
* Jerry Zetkowski-the first most famous cardist, author of the “encyclopedia of card florishes”, which is called the “Bible of florishing”.
* Devo Vaughn Chattenreich-a man who separated florishing and card magic: in 2001, he suggested that they should be separated and in 2004 introduced the special term “extreme card manipulation” (xsm). He also made a significant contribution to the development of florishing as a separate art.
* Richard Z. in 2006, to distinguish between the concepts of “florishing” and “extreme card manipulation” introduced the name “cardistri” – a style consisting of rapid hand movements with cards (volts and undercuts). And ” xsm ” implies the movement of armspread (a tape of cards on the hand) and display. Thus, the concepts of “cardistry” and” extreme card manipulation “have become identical and they mean card manipulative art, and “florishing” implies tricks related to card tricks.
Which cards are best used in cardistry?
So, if you decide to become a card player, the first thing you need is playing cards. Familiar souvenir decks are unlikely to allow you to learn how to demonstrate enchanting numbers, although you will still learn a few simple tricks to show.
So, the most popular among card players around the world are playing cards of the Bicycle and Tally-Ho series.
A Series “Bicycle»
Bicycle series cards (Produced by the United State Playing Card Company, USA) are the leading positions in popularity among cardists and slaters, which is due to their high quality. They are made of multi-layer cardboard and have a plastic coating. These features make the bike wheels resistant to wear: they do not bend or crack, and the probability that the card will break is minimal.
Another important advantage of bi-cycles is a very beautiful and memorable design of shirts (there are red and blue), so the cut and florish are surprisingly spectacular.
It should be noted that playing cards “Bicycle” – a good choice for novice cardists who want to understand the basics of this art and improve their skills in the future.
Tally-Ho playing cards are ideal for card manipulation professionals. So they are even more resistant to wear and deformation than bicycles, due to the fact that they are produced using a unique technology: tally-Ho stock cardboard and Linoid Finish coating are used.
Due to their features, tally-Ho playing cards slide very well, which may not appeal to beginners. But soon after a few training sessions, a novice cardist is able to appreciate all the charms of this deck.
Tally-Ho, like Bicycle, have an original corporate design and two color solutions (red and blue), and the manipulations look no less beautiful.
Let’s start training
You need to be prepared for the fact that any card trick, even the simplest, no one succeeds. No one! This is absolutely normal, since card manipulation involves movements of the hands and fingers that are not applicable in everyday life. And it turns out that you are in cardistri as a newborn baby: he has arms and legs, but he does not know how to “use” them. But with time of hard training, the muscles acquire the necessary skills and strength to do what is necessary.
Card manipulation involves two types of practice:
1) active: the study of movement and its “study”, so that your hands and fingers train new, unusual movements for them, and the muscles “remember” them»;
2) passive, coming after active training: you are able to perform tricks without thinking about your actions ,so to speak “automatically”.
It should be noted that it is very important to learn how to perform the necessary movements correctly during active practice. Otherwise, you will have to start from scratch, and it is much more difficult to retrain.
So, at the beginning of your training, you will learn most of the movements from video tutorials. After choosing a trick you like to learn (it’s better to start with the simplest ones), start learning it in the following order:
1) watch the video carefully;
2) take the deck and slowly repeat the movements from beginning to end in the suggested order;
3) if some elements do not lend themselves at all or do not lend themselves very well, work them out separately;
4) now try to perform the manipulation twice in a row, and then several times.
If you already manage to perform the cut several times in a row without an error, then start working out the number. Remember that it should be perfect 10 times out of 10.
You can also easily determine how much you were manipulated: if, for example, out of 10 times you double-faulted, it is considered that the trick was worked out by 80% (8 out of 10 times it was successful). For greater accuracy, you can perform the number 100 times.
Last and not the least important step in the development of card manipulation is a passive practice. It’s not complicated. But the idea is that you perform the number repeatedly, regardless of your hands. The ideal option is if you can talk, read, or do other things while performing the trick.
Manipulation is going well? Congratulations! You can already safely demonstrate it in front of the public.
How long does it take to make the trick automatic?
Note that in various ways require different levels of training and the availability of certain skills. In addition, they also have different levels of complexity, so it is impossible to say exactly how much time you need to prepare a number. Some you will learn to demonstrate in a few hours, others in a few days or weeks. And there are rooms that will have to be prepared for years!
In a word, for a cardist, the popular wisdom “live for a Century, learn for a century!”, since there are a lot of tricks, and the imagination of avid manipulators generates more and more new ideas. And to learn all this, it will take more than one decade!
But be sure that your efforts will more than pay off!
In conclusion, we should add a few words about the online community of cardists.
Cardistri fans occupy a small niche on the Internet, so take an active part in communicating on thematic forums, leave comments if you like a certain author’s technique. Be polite and ask questions on the merits, then soon you will become a full member of the society of cardists, where you can exchange experience and solve impossible tasks for you.
Good luck to you, novice cardists!